Sunday, February 20, 2011

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Competitive flower shows are a lot like Conan the Barbarian. Orchid hobbyists that talk like members of Thulsa Doom's cult, plants with names like 'Sorcerer's Apprentice,' and the occasional bloom beheading are all part of the experience. It's natural and obvious that violent scenes from Conan should race through my mind when I see my plants adorned with award ribbons. Right?

On the other hand, my "enemies" are likely my friends from the Orchid Society, or the vendors from whom I shop, or the nice folks from out-of-state Orchid Societies. I'll see most of them next month, if not sooner, so the "see them driven before you" thing doesn't quite ring true. And the "lamentations of their women" line seems as weird and inappropriate as it did in 1982. 

So, maybe the Conan/orchid comparison needs more thought.
Griffin, Sabine, and Riley guarding the Brassavola


Although I have no tongue for it, my pleas to Crom were answered and my Brassavola Little Stars 'Yasuji Takasaki' had a great run this winter (check out Sabine's maintenance of it last year). It won Plant of the Month at my Orchid Society and a blue ribbon for the Brassavola class (and a white ribbon for specimen plant) at the Kansas City Orchid Show. Whoo! The last two flowers opened today and I've instructed the kitties to tend to it until next year's adventures.    

3 comments:

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

They look like they are guarding the orchids, I wouldn't dare put my hand any closer. LOL.

gorgeous.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

CatsandCatts said...

Thanks Jen!
They have a mixed record with Brassavolas -- some of the kitties think that the spiky pseudobulbs are designed for facial massages.

Orchid de dangau said...

Congrats on your winning award. Your cat is truly guard & love your lovely orchid ;)