Thursday, August 19, 2010

Too Hot To Blog!

Northeastern Kansas has experienced some of the hottest weather in a decade and it has slowed my cat and orchid blogging.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  The past ten days have been full of outside digging, sawing, drilling, painting, and planting.  I didn't want to let this slow down Cats and Catts, but it inevitably did.  I worked outside in the early morning and tried to put up with an hour or two (or three, or four) during the warm-up.  Trixie pushed me to drink water and I avoided serious heat-related harms.  But juggling multiple outdoor projects -- a raised daylily bed, a compost bin, cold frames, planting dozens of new daylily in the main garden, and caring for the outside orchids -- left me with just enough energy to work my real job and spend time with Trixie and the kitties.  


When I was online, I found myself in a seeking-mode more than a sharing-mode.  Online gardening advice is a total l'embarras des richesses situation and there were only so many cold frame diagrams I could stare at before I went crazy.  But I had a lot to learn.  Did you know, for instance, that "lasagna composting" has nothing to do with lasagna or the vegetables used to make lasagna?  I'll share some of the other things I've learned as I race to meet my August posting quota.  Stay tuned.

No comments: